How To Eat Intuitively For Optimal Health
These days we’re inundated with so many opinions, judgments and moralistic bents on what to eat and how to eat, it’s difficult to know which direction to go in.
We’re told that vegetarianism is the gold standard of nutrition. We’re told that the Mediterranean diet holds the key to longevity, so that’s how we should eat. And now the Paleo diet has taken the nutrition world by storm.
So, which one works best for you?
If you were to make an intellectual decision it would be easy to pick a camp and dive in. But that might not be what’s best for your body.
What to do…what to do!
Here’s a thought: Why not take an Intuitive Approach to your diet and forget all of the noise. But how do we do that?
The good news is, you don’t have to be Sylvia Browne in order to intuit the best way for you to nourish yourself.
Here’s How You Can Begin Intuitive Eating Today:
- Move your mindset from wanting to look good to wanting to feel good. This is actually a game-changer. When you shift your mindset from one of superficiality to a deeper framework of incredible, vibrant health, your choices naturally change. And it’s easier to stay the course if health is the goal. Finally, the best part of this shift in mindset is when you feel good, you look even better 🙂
- Leave the morality out of your food choices. I’ve talked about this before. This is one of the most perplexing choices I’ve seen. We’re the only species on the planet who thinks that we can eat according to a moral code rather than a biological imperative. No other animal on this planet does this. Why? Because they eat what their species was designed to eat in order to optimize their health and longevity. It’s called survival of the fittest.
- Never go on another diet again. I’m going to say it. Dieting is nothing but a big mind fuck. Deprivation never, and I repeat, NEVER works. Our bodies instantly begin storing fat (to prepare for the famine) and that completely defeats the purpose of going on a diet. When you leave out the crappy food and, again, focus on feeling great, than dieting has no place in your world. It never did.
- Look to your ancestry. Are you Italian? Scottish? Indian? Asian? Look to your ancestry and you’ll find the closest fit to the most biologically appropriate diet for you.
- Remember what you loved as a kid. Okay, the healthy stuff! Not the ding dongs or powdered donuts (even though they were pure awesome!). What, of the healthy foods, did you love? What did you go back for during big feasts and celebrations? Your body still wants those foods.
- Honour your hunger. You’re hungry because your cells are requiring nutrients in order to keep you running well. Feed yourself when you’re hungry. Eat with gusto. Eat without distraction. Enjoy every bite.
- Honour your fullness. Decide to not eat when you’re full. Something else is going on. You’re either bored or sad or something. But if you’re full, don’t add any stress to your body by shoving more food in it. At the same time, figure out what it is you really need in that moment and honour it.
Our bodies want to run well and be healthy and thrive. When we listen to them and honour them, they’ll do just that. Let go of any social, cultural or moralistic conditioning and eat the foods that your body wants. Be present while you eat and love every bite.
No Comments »